Friday, July 11, 2008

When auditioning meets geekdom

So, based on an article I read recently where an iPhone user kept scanned his boarding pass onto his phone and use it to get on a plane I decided I would test it out at auditions.

The new thing in casting for commercials is that we have all now filled out our "size cards" on a computer system. Size cards hold our vital information, weight, heigh, hair color, eye color, agency, contact info, etc.
So, we are encouraged to bring in the stupid little piece of paper with our bar code on it so it can be scanned and our vital info can be put directly onto our audition tape, etc. Saves time, saves paper.
However.
I always forget where I put the damned thing, or it gets lost in my wallet and I have to print a new one every time. It's annoying.

Until now.

"casting frontier" sent me a confirmation email with my bar code for my own use, to print, etc. I saved it as a pdf and stored it on a separate folder in my mail on my iPod Touch.



At the audition I took a chance and had the guy running session scan my ipod. It took an extra second or two but did it work?

You betcher ass it did.

Score one more for new technology.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow that's really cool, now all the geeky kids will be doing the same!

I was going to say the cool kids but we all know better.

I'm going to give this a go on the iPhone next time I fly!

Hope the audition went well.