Saturday, July 12, 2008

Listening Post: Bon Jovi - (these days)

Great things come from New Jersey. Frank Sinatra. The Boss. Me. And, of course, Jon Bongiovi.
I know nothing about Bon Jovi save the big super hits that catapulted him and his group to megastardom. Is there anything more to the once high-haired glam pop rock than just faux country anthem rock?
Let's find out.




Bon Jovi - (these days) - 1995
(buy it)

Let's get a couple things out of the way:
This album sold over 10 million copies???? Where the hell was I? Does anyone know about this?
Also:
This might be one of my favorite Bon Jovi albums.
That's not really saying much, all things considered, I realize. However, when all is said and done, this is a really good record. It's interesting that Sambora and Bongiovi are credited as 2 of the main producers and it's the most earnest album in the catalogue. It's got edge, darkness and a little bit of heart.
It's overlong, of course, because why make a song 4 minutes when you can make it six? Why NOT fill up 63 minutes of plastic? I mean, it's there, right?
So, there was a break between the last album and (these days) (Parentheses, theirs. These parentheses are mine) and I can just imagine Jon and Richie sitting in the studio and listening to Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Alice in Chains and loving, just LOVING the sound. It's not that I think the guys are rip off artists. I really don't. I think they just listen to stuff and let what they like inform their music. (Okay, I do think there's a little eye on what's popular....) And the cover of the album (Yeah, Jim DeRogatis, I review album covers, fuck you with your last bastion of the lazy reviewer). Its got that purplish saturation, the band in the forefront but the background is as important and, oh yes, the name of the album is scribbled in faux hand writing. It's sooooooo 90s.
The songs...yeah, they're kind of generic but there is an epic sadness to this cd. It's got power. Some of it is elegiac, but not most of it, which is a nice change.
Here's the thing, though. When it's over, you have completely forgotten that you listened to it. I admit, a lot of Bon Jovi music is that way but this one especially. I couldn't tell you how any song goes and I just finished the album.

Hmmmm.

Grade B-

A Side: These Days (JBJ is doing his Springsteen again but, heck, I would like to learn to play this.)
Blindside: Hey God,
Downside: Lie to Me (A blechy ballady single that bores the crap out of the listener made worse by it's issue as a single.

No comments: