Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Listening Post: AC/DC High Voltage

They wrote one of the 10 greatest RAWK songs ever. The pretty much invented the fist pumping, devil horned, head banging arena rock sound. The lead guitarist is the star, in his outrageous schoolboy uniform but the real backbone is the Rhythm Guitarist. Without Malcolm there is no AC/DC. Just a lead singer and a cock of the walk screecher.
I have heard about a dozen or so songs, and, like everyone who grew up in the 70s, Back in Black was your graduation present.
But aside from the big tunes, what do I really know about the Aussie boys?
Let's find out.




AC/DC - High Voltage - 1976 (Buy it)

High Voltage explodes with a crunchy, stereo-guitar assault that sort of winks at KISS and says, "Oh, yeah? THIS is what you're trying to sound like!".
It's pretty audacious in lyrical content, too. Now, I don't imagine that Bon Scott is too deep a guy and judging from what I've heard here, I'm right. He's interested in telling you how great he is, how great they are, how much like sex, girls and rock. I think that's fine. I mean, that's sort of the template for rock and roll all the way back to Leadbelly, isn't it? Here it's dressed up in a more vicious posturing that will either influence or happen to come at the same time as Foghat, ZZ Top and every fist pumping blues based bar band that ever came down the "Classic Rock" road.
The audacity I am talking about is "It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll". Spoken with such authority, as is "Rock and Roll Singer" the guys come across as seasoned Rock vets telling it like it is. In truth, this is their first album, basically a redux of the same stuff from a year earlier when Epic picked up their contract.
There can be no surprise here, however, just a passing appreciation. Inasmuch as they were just putting their spin on Blues Rock and were SO influential that this seems tame.
It has it's moments, though. And it definitely has me looking forward to more.

Grade B
A Side: T.N.T. & It's a Long Way To The Top [if you wanna rock and roll]
Blindside: Can I Sit Next To You Girl? (Unexpectedly goofy and glammy)
Downside: The Jack (I actually fell asleep listening to it and had to go back to make sure it was as dull as I thought)

No comments: