Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Listening Post: Bon Jovi - This Left Feels Right

Great things come from New Jersey. Frank Sinatra. The Boss. Me. And, of course, Jon Bongiovi.
I know nothing about Bon Jovi save the big super hits that catapulted him and his group to megastardom. Is there anything more to the once high-haired glam pop rock than just faux country anthem rock?
Let's find out.




Bon Jovi - This Left Feels Right - 2003 (Buy it)

I've got to do something different with this CD. I think I have to blog each song as I go. Otherwise I might just give up.

Rather than repackage a greatest of music that his fans would already have JBJ decided to reimagine those songs so his fans would have something new. Or, redoing the songs means that people who own the original will be encouraged to send Jon and his guys more money.
Mercenary or art? We'll decide. (The live tracks will not be reviewed.)

Wanted: Dead or Alive: Um....I...think....okay....this is fucking weird shit, man. Acoustic Soundgardeny with giant choral backings. It sounds nothing like the original, which is good, but it's not good, so that's bad.
B

Livin' on a Prayer: Olivia D'Abo? OLIVIA D'ABO??? Backing vocals? Wtf? Why? Is she Gina? Yeah, it's a weird duet and the haunting arrangement counters the hopeful aspect of the song rendering it implausibly hard to listen to.
F

Bad Medicine: Not all songs are meant to be reinterpreted. Great songs can fit into ANY mode, milieu, style, framework and succeed. Bon Jovi doesn't write GREAT SONGS. They write stadium-ready epics with big choruses. Like Bad Medicine. This down played, wannabe-sexy and soulful version is just Bad.
F

It's My Life: Ah, the melancholy piano, why not? The original was so bright and punchy, maybe this will shed some light on the true meaning of the song....I don't think Jon is up to the task of reinventing and improvising phrasings but he definitely sells this. This is the first time I can actually sort of appreciate the reworking. Paul Anka's is much, much better but this is okay, too.
A

Lay Your Hands On Me: I liked the original, it was neat in a little pseudo-gospel way. This is pointless. The world doesn't need it. Waste of plastic.
D

You Give Love a Bad Name: Break out that do-bro, baby. Wait. What's with the Stray Cat Strut beat? This...this...this is actually.....no....YES! It's horrible! Holy Christ, someone should sit these guys in a room, play this song over and over until they tell us where Bin laden is.
F

Bed of Roses: Just a piano and Jon's voice opens this, the sweet drums accent the sentiment and the violins sugar it all up. THis is nice. This is Jon Bon Jovi FINALLY admitting that they are basically Billy Joel with hair.
A

Everyday: Sounds more like an *NSync slo-jam than I could have imagined. This is R&B at its most mediocre. That said, I still like the song.
C-

Born to be My Baby: You know this is one of the songs I liked off of New Jersey. I really don't think this adds anything. What it does show me is that band commits more to the metronome than to the music. If you are reinterpreting a song in this balladic, hymn-like way, you should let it breath. It's too bad they won't let it.
C-

Keep the Faith: This countryfied version of the 1992 hit has a nice southern rock feel to it. And it breathes. As opposed to the song that came before which, had it been produced like this, would probably have worked.
A-

I'll be there for you: Yuch. I hated the original I hate the saccharine crappy redux. The creepy stalker bridge is enough to make you want to poke your eyeballs out with a dildo. Make it stop.
F

Always Well this isn't fair, now, is it? I didn't include the greatest hits package in the retro so I never heard the original which was a bonus song. Maybe that's a good thing. Let's listen.
So, it's JBJ pouring his heart out to some women, declaring never ending love, kind of creepy in a covet they neighbor sort of way. It's harmless and pointless. Why am I doing this again??
Hang on a sec: THIS was JBJ's biggest selling single? What the how? Who is buying this stuff!!!!?
C

Grade D+
A Side: It's My Life
BlindSide: Bed of Roses
DownSide: Livin on a Prayer & You Give Love A Bad Name

2 comments:

SamuraiFrog said...

I just can't believe Bon Jovi has gone on this long. There's something not right about it, as though Huey Lewis and the News just kept going and going long after anyone cared.

Allen Lulu said...

I KNOW! And get this, in about ten minutes it will actually get better.
Crazy.