Friday, July 4, 2008

listening Post: AC/DC Ballbreaker

They wrote one of the 10 greatest RAWK songs ever. The pretty much invented the fist pumping, devil horned, head banging arena rock sound. The lead guitarist is the star, in his outrageous schoolboy uniform but the real backbone is the Rhythm Guitarist. Without Malcolm there is no AC/DC. Just a lead singer and a cock of the walk screecher.
I have heard about a dozen or so songs, and, like everyone who grew up in the 70s, Back in Black was your graduation present.
But aside from the big tunes, what do I really know about the Aussie boys?
Let's find out.





AC/DC - Ballbreaker - 1995 (buy it)

Rick Rubin. Who hasn't he worked with? Isn't Bruce Springsteen on a short list or something? I mean, really.
So, what does Rick bring to the AC/DC party? Nothing, really. Ballbreaker is just what I would hope and expect from the follow-up to return-to-form The Razor's Edge. It's blues-rock, great licks and lots of double entendre (and single entendre). I mean, "Hard as a Rock"? Subtlety is not in the Young brothers' vocabulary.
They don't reinvent the wheel here, in fact, I'm not sure anyone actually owns this besides true blue die hard fans. It's just a reason to say, "hey, we're still here and now we have a reason to tour, come see us and we'll play the stuff you love." Or something.
AllMusic says there isn't a bad song on the album and I would tend to agree but also add that there isn't a truly great song on it, either.
It will be another 5 years before AC/DC will put out their last effort (And, as of this writing, another 8 after that as they announced a new album for 2008 to only be sold at Wal-Mart).

Grade C
A Side: Ballbreaker
Blindside: Hard as a Rock
Downside: Hail Caeser

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You did it! You're a better man than I, and it probably took years off your life but thank you. Thank you for validating my decision to not pay attention to ACDC after Black. But wait, I didn't pay attention before either, so maybe now I will collect a few of those nuggets you mention from pre-Black. So thanks again. Awesome stuff here.

Btw, I was really surprised you would do ACDC! Never saw that coming. Once I learned that you were retroing them my next thought was, what's next - Bon Jovi? Lo and behold, you're considering that? I would ask for Billy Joel or Prince before the Jovi. But hey BJ is good too. Its your life.
-bro