Friday, September 21, 2012

Queen for a Day - I Want to Break Free



The video, with the band crossdressing as characters from a British show that no one knew in the US is what killed Queen in the States once and for all. They would never recover.

Truth is, they are wayyyyyy past their relevance at this point. This song may as well be the "Who Needs You" rework. It could be the son of that song. In fact, that's what I thought when I heard it for the first time.

It popped up in the early 00's as a Pepsi commercial and, of course, I felt good that my band was no longer the outcasts of transvestism. You remember that spot, right? The gladiator milieu? Britney Spears? Ugh.

The song is fine. It's catchy. It hits all the singalong notes it's supposed to. It was a hit for the band. It just shows that inventiveness had been supplanted by the ability to know how to print money.

Grade: B-

No comments: