Sunday, January 30, 2011

Zack Attack: Day 5 of the ICU

For me, this was the strangest of all days so far. I didn't see Zach at all. Beth's sister had to go home this morning and Zoe isn't allowed in the icu.
She and I dropped Beth off at Cedars and raced over to Ballet/Tap class. I couldn't be prouder of my daughter. She embraces every experience like it's the greatest thing she's ever seen. That kid relishes life, man. It's going to be weird being the father of a son. I just get girls, you know? I've had two and each of them were sparkling jewels in my otherwise sephardic eye.

Zoe has been terrific during the entire affair, but to her, I fear, babies live in the hospital for a week when they are born. This is her norm...

Beth spent about 3 hours with Zack. Fed him. Hung out with him. She says he's amazing.

I bet.

As I drove to pick her up at the hospital and get both of them home (it's rainy and Beth needs to recuperate) I thought, hmm...my kid was born last week but we have to visit him in a hospital. It's like mail order. We've seen the item but it isn't in stock yet. They're still putting it together. Like a sofa you'd get at Pottery Barn. You love it, it's comfy, you bought it, you PAID for it, but it'll still take 4-6 weeks to arrive.

With Liz, her diagnosis came so late in her newness that we had already gotten used to living with her. Or maybe that experience has prepared me for letting a hospital take care of my kid. I don't know.

I just know that I'm sitting here, typing this and thinking, wow, 6 miles away, in a plastic incubator, my son is sleeping.

That just isn't right. I really want him home.

1 comment:

John Seven said...

I remember Jana was kept in the hospital for almost a week because of her blood pressure after the Hs. It was very frustrating. I just wanted them home so we could get on with our life - it's hard to do so in the gaze of a hospital staff ...