Monday, January 31, 2011

Listening Post: Devo - Shout



Devo- Shout - 1984

I'm not sure what to make of this. Everything I've read says it's awful. And it's the last Devo recording for a while. Also follows a tradition of self-production after someone else at the helm. But I kinda like the opening track, the title track. It reminds me of Human Sexual Response's "Pound" or "Land of the Glass Pinecones". But poppy. It's obvious that Devo is goin for radio play or some kind here. They've tasted the money teat and, why the hell not? Aren't they the godfathers of this movement? Shouldn't they benefit from what they've wrought?
This is the most generic synth music one can imagine. It's Flock of Seagulls/Thomas Dolby/Howard what's his name and everyone else, though devoid of personality and without glee. Although "The 4th Dimension" sure tries hard to have a melody...
I don't find Shout as offensive as it appears many others do. Of course, that could be because my expectations are so low. It's a notch below the last one.


Grade: C-
ASide: Shout
BlindSide: The 4th Dimension

No comments: