Thursday, January 6, 2011

Listening Post: Warren Zevon - Warren Zevon

"Enjoy every sandwich".
Zevon and I have had the slightest relationship over the years. I love the songs I've heard and, even though Roland, Werewolves, Excitable Boy, etc, are amazing tunes, I never bothered to give any album more than a moment. Until now. Getting them on vinyl is easy and cheap. I've already had a few on CD.
Whenever I think of Warren I get a lump in my throat. His death was saddening. I still get choked up when I listen to The Wind. But, by his own admission, it was his fault. He was scared of doctors. So he never went.
Even though he's not current, I still think he deserves a listen.




Warren Zevon - Warren Zevon - 1974

For me the trouble with Warren is that, after a while, all the songs begin to sound the same. He's a singer/songwriter, yes but he's so dark and troubled that you really have to invest in him. You have to read to really get all he has to offer. I love good lyrics, but for me, music has always overshadowed the lyrics. I can forgive crappo lyrics for the music. So, it's hard for me to penetrate a genre that I don't truly enjoy. Or traffic in.
That said, if one doesn't look at the lyrics, Warren Zevon is a great piano driven, pop rock offering.
If you do read his lyrics, its a masterstroke.

Grade A:
ASide: Mohammed's Radio, Hasten Like the Wind
BlindSide: Desperados Under the Eaves

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wasn't really Zevon's fault -- with mesothelioma, early diagnosis doesn't keep you alive. He was just being jokey when he said that.

Allen Lulu said...

Yeah. But it was awfully human of him to admit as much. The man was inspirational.