Reviewed by Jim Coursey
Released: October 24 1980 After The Fire 80-f Genre: New-Wavey 80s Sitcom Soundtracks Rating: 2.5 out of 5 Highlights: Who's Gonna Love You (When You're Old and Fat and Ugly)? Starflight Apparently a British 70s prog act that went new wave, After the Fire eventually went bust in 1982 after their mediocre and unnecessary cover of Falco’s “Der Kommissar” failed to earn them mainstream success. Only 8 of the 10 songs from 1980’s “1980-f” are available for review, but I can’t imagine the last two songs on the album would change the fact that this is the music of competent hacks. On their 1980 album they offer up fast-paced, highly-polished new wave that is heavy on chord changes and keyboard solos. Sadly it’s also light on songwriting and bereft of that je ne sais quoi magic that might propel them to success. Their first problem here is that they start with a pair of ultra-perky tunes (one instrumental, one vocal) that sound to me like they would make for good 80s sitcom outro music. The vocals don’t add anything of merit, and the music is corny in the extreme. The only saving grace is the Galaga sound effects peppering the intro and outro to "Love Will Always Make You Cry", although I can’t really fathom how Galaga sounds play into an upbeat song about heartbreak. Their next folly is “Wild West Show”, complete with a music video that is well worth about 30 seconds of your life. [1] This credibly Western-themed video only proves how little the band sounds like the Wild West. It also shows an extreme ignorance about circuses, since every time they mention a circus they cut to the band dressed as cowboys riding horses. I found only two marginally enjoyable songs in the mix. "Who's Gonna Love You (When You're Old and Fat and Ugly)?", which turns the tables on McCartney’s “When I’m Sixty Four” in a way that seems unlikely to have won the band many marriage proposals. Its half-speed verses could be The Outfield or Mr. Mister before double-timing to more glammy choruses. Not a bad song I guess but the band still manages to make it sound just shy of cool. Meanwhile I could appreciate the fast-paced futuristic track "Starflight" in spite of the proggy keyboard licks.
No comments:
Post a Comment