Monday, April 18, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - Lindsay Buckingham - Law and Order

Lindsay Buckingham - Law and Order 



#562

By Tami Fitzkoff

October 3 1981

Lindsay Buckingham

Law and Order

Genre: Quirky and Cool

Allen’s Rating: 3 out of 5

Tami’s Rating: 4.5 out of 5


Highlights:

Trouble

A Satisfied Mind

September Song

I’ll Tell You Now

Love From Here, Love From There



Lindsay’s first solo album is great. It may not be for everyone but I dig it. Lindsay at times sounds like Freddie Mercury meets rockabilly with a touch of Dr. Demento and an airy mix of music. It’s whimsical, fun, breezy and cool. It seems to me like Lindsay really enjoyed himself making this record. And I guess it just rubbed off on me. The music just sounds good. I don’t know why he named it “Law and Order,” it’s more like Wild, Wacky and Wonderful but I guess that would be a lame title.


The one song that charted on this album, “Trouble,” (and the only song I knew going into this review) is actually one of my favorite 80’s songs. The chorus has been lodged in my head since I was a kid. The lyrics act as a voiceover whenever I’ve been in uncomfortable situations… “I think I’m in trouble (truh-wah-ble).” It’s a cool smooth song, which oddly starts out with him comically singing “two, a-three, a-four, two, a-three, a-four.” I was surprised that he did three covers on this album. They are rock and roll/country ballads about love and loss “It Was I,” “September Song,” and “A Satisfied Mind.” I had never heard any of them before and Lindsay gives a country Wall Of Sound vibe to each of them and I liked them all. Even the bizarre songs like “Bwana” and “That’s How We Do It In LA” that I find hard to describe, which some people (like my wife) found super annoying, I found to be amusing. And then there were his other  originals, “Mary Lee Jones,”I’ll Tell You Now,” and “Love From Here, Love From There” where I just felt like I could be hanging by a pool enjoying the Buckingham breeze. It’s only 36 minutes and worth a listen.


https://open.spotify.com/album/38UhlwlFmxKBRVCUdaY21m?si=UL1U3675QvyvW6eQ7ngrrg

No comments: