Monday, April 18, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - Barnes & Barnes - Spazchow

 Barnes & Barnes - Spazchow


#557
November 1981

Barnes & Barnes

Spazchow

Genre: Weird

2.25 out of 5



Highlights:

I Need You



Yeah, they didn’t write the opener, “I Need You” but boy oh boy does it set the tone. 

If Voobaha was their appropriation of The Residents’ aesthetic, this one doubles down on the malaise and antipathy and misanthropy and you know what? We are not better off for it. “Love Tap” should be ominous but I feel like that, along with “Cats” are just sad attempts to get on the Demento show. 

“Where’s the Water” is some storytelling attempt but I lost the plot of a guy drawing…not drowning…? I thought about going back and listening again but I realized I didn’t care.

What a downturn from that first one, guys. The most egregious thing? It’s boring. 





https://music.apple.com/us/album/spazchow/159740519

No comments: