Wednesday, February 23, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - Dan Fogelberg - The Innocent Age

Dan Fogelberg - The Innocent Age 



August 1, 1981

#353

By John Tommassino

Dan Fogelberg

The Innocent Age (A double LP)


Genre: soft rock (with two throw pillows)

Allen’s Rating: 3.5 out of 5

John's Rating : 4 out of 5 


This double album would not have been on my radar in 1981. I was just venturing into popular music with acts like Devo, Split Enz, Gary Numan and Thin Lizzy. I was just 12 years old and very much into Comic Books and big budget Hollywood films as well as academic ventures like Edith Hamilton's work on Norse and Classical Mythologies. But listening to all 80 minutes and one second of this double album has left me with a newfound respect for Fogelberg and the entire genre of soft rock. Highlights on this album are many including the opening track "Nexus" to the title track and, of course, the heartfelt epics  "Leader of the Band" and "Same Old Lang Syne". Fogelberg shines as both a vocalist and guitarist and producer. Check out the credits on this album and it reads like a master artist at the height of his creative powers. Supporting musicians are also skillful adept at capturing the moods and memories Fogelberg pursues and captures with expert finesse. 


This is a solid double album- I am not sure if modern artists are even bother with the double LP format...is it a lost art? I find myself listening to less and less modern music in favor of older eras, so I don't know. I am more than curious about Fogelberg's other works and will explore in the next few weeks. Check out this album even if the phrase "soft rock" makes you cringe...


https://open.spotify.com/album/1cidJkUwzlnQQZTlK6H6Hf?si=29QJg7IISYiHYrXEfIxsxw

No comments: