Thursday, June 23, 2011

Queen for a Day - We Will Rock You

After conquering Japan and Europe what was left? The big one. America.
Is there a rock song from the 70s that sounds more American than We Will Rock You? Hardly. It's big, it's boisterous, it's cocky, it's great.
A virtual rap, sung a Capella over a poundingly effective drum beat/hand clap, the tune isn't a song, really. It's a couple verses, an infectious chorus and a big ass guitar solo at the end.
My problems with this and the forthcoming songs is the prodution. Jettisoning Roy Thomas Baker to self produce, the album is dry. Almost as though it was recorded in a vacuum. It's airless. And one thing I want above all else from Queen is flavor. I don't need them to try to be the Stones. I already have that. I don't have enough of what Queen is and can do.
But it's still tremendous.

Grade: A+


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: