Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Queen for a Day - Somebody to Love

And then there's this. This was my late daughter's favorite Queen song. Took me a while to be able to listen to it again. I'm glad I can.
If Bohemian Rhapsody represented a level of superstardom for the band it also was something of a novelty tune. With it's opera section and bombast and all.
Somebody to Love is like that song in that it's a centerpiece and an epic and a masterpiece replete with guitar solo and equal bombast but it's also a clearly perfect piece of gospel/rock. The band couldn't have done this without the previous hit. They needed the hubris that a song like that takes. And the practice.
The multi-layering vocals of the band as choral group on this song works so well it's astonishing. it's as though all that they've done before prepared them for this.
This song alone might be their crowning achievement.

Grade: A+


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: