Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Queen for a Day - '39

For a long time this was my favorite song on the record. It's written y and sung by Brian and is a loopy little skiffle ditty about interstellar travelers who leave "in the year of '39" to look for planets to populate and when they come back, everyone they know has died due to the way time works in space.
None of that really matters as this is a track that is at once completely out of place amidst the bombast and fits perfectly in with the kitchen sink mentality of the record.
I think it's important to note that this is the first time a Brian May song has not opened a Queen record and that his first offering comes after everyone else has had their shot. Additionally, it's the sweetest thing the guy has come up with however, I've always felt that the production was a bit muddy. Nonetheless, I always dreamt of just picking up a guitar anywhere (the earliest fantasies was in high school after hours) and playing this tune.
I would finally learn it 20 years later but it wasn't the same...

Grade: A-


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: