Saturday, December 5, 2009

Whiskey A Go Go - Knob Creek



It was an old friend's birthday last night. The party was at a sports tavern in the Valley. Perhaps my least favorite type of establishment on the planet. But, heck, it was what he wanted so it's all cool. (And the macaroni & Cheese was garlicky and crispy and yummy).
It's customary to buy an old friend a drink on his birthday and he was kind enough to ask for nothing more than a Jameson.
I got him a Johnnie Blue instead. And had one for myself as well. Was there ever a whiskey as smooth and genuinely giving as Johnnie Walker Blue? I don't think so.
But this isn't a review of Blue.
So, how to follow up the tender and delicate smoothness of the Blue?
With Knob Creek. Right?
No.
Recommended by another Whiskey drinker I know, this bourbon hit my palette in every wrong way possible. Harsh, angry, biting, with a taste that reminded me too much of plastic.
That was the note I kept recalling. Like a balloon. Not pleasant at all.
Which all goes to show that I am probably not a bourbon drinker after. More of a scotch drinker. We'll find out tonight as the guys are going to a restaurant together and I plan on having (more than one) glass of liquid life.
As for the Knob.
Not so much.

No comments: