Sunday, December 20, 2009

Amateur Foodie: Cafe Medina, Vancouver

For some reason I gave up on breakfast in Vancouver. Most of the time when I'm here I don't have the time to get breakfast. There's usually a catering truck on set or something.
And the few times I've gone out for a breaky here it's been...standard at best.
Then I happened to hear about Cafe Medina. A little hole in the wall near the iffy section of Gastown. I'm glad I did.
I got there at about 5 to 9 and there were already some people waiting. Not many so I wasn't thinking much about it. I'm glad I got there when I did. Because by 9:15 there was a line out the door. If I had arrived to see that line I probably would have hustled elsewhere.
Like I said. Glad I stayed.
They brought me a coffee and it was like drinking silk. Just the right amount of thickness, the cream swirled, it didn't need any sweetener. My server, Chris, a french canadian local, recommended the Oeufs Cocotte. And when I suggested that I might also like some sausage, he dissuaded me, promising that the dish would be sufficient.
I should stop to say that Medina Cafe is known for it's waffles and they looked delicious. Spare, light, golden. But since Waffles are now so far off my diet I had to eschew them.
Then breakfast arrived.


The Oeufs Cocotte are eggs baked in a clay pot with a melange of Sockeye Salmon, Artichokes, Cream Cheese with a tomato pepperdew salad. A grilled focaccia is served on the side.
I can't recall a lighter dish that tasted so rich.
The line got longer as a single father and his daughter planted themselves at the window seats. a gaggle of 3 generations of women sat to my left. The server, who had asked my name earlier, came and asked me, "Is there anything I can get you, Allen?" And with that I asked for the check and wished that I was with someone so I could share this meal. The attention to detail from both the servers and the cooks was so spot on, homey and yet crowded, I found myself leaving a 30% tip. It's not like the meal was all that expensive, truly. Seemed like the least I could do.

I thought about that breakfast all day. Even after wandering around the city, going to the movies, hitting other food spots, I found myself promising me that I would make it back to Cafe Medina again before I head home.

So I did.
I had trudged there in the rain. It's a pretty miserable day here in Vancouver today. I wondered if there would be a crowd. Who would venture out in this?

It was packed.

"You're back! Welcome!" The other server whose name I never learned said. After asking me my name again, it was like I was home again.
"Would you like anything to drink?"
"Coffee, please."
"Cafe Americain, like yesterday?"
This place started to remind me of the best hotels. Where they know your name and make you feel at home.
Chris was going to give me a table of my own but I begged off.
"You're in the weeds. I'll sit at the bar."
I ordered the Fricasse as I sipped my coffee and listened to The Slate Political Gabfest on my iPhone.
When it arrived it was more beautiful than the meal the day before.
2 fried eggs on braised short ribs, roasted potatoes, carmelized onions, arugula and smoked applewood cheddar. It tasted even better than it looked.

Chris and I were talking a bit about the restaurant. He's been there since it opened. Painted the ceiling. He said that next door there is a restaurant called Chambar. It's the same owners. It was so successful that they opened Medina.
I might have to go there for dinner.
For sure I will go back to Medina tomorrow. In fact, I plan on going until I have tried everything on their menu.

No comments: