Saturday, December 5, 2009

Eating In: (Diabetic) Breakfast Burrito



It's been ages since I posted a recipe but, ever since I was diagnosed as T2 Diabetic I've had to re-evaluate my dining habits. Which led me to the lo-carb breakfast burrito. Before you run screaming, trust me, I've altered it enough that it does taste, truly, like it will kill you. Even if it won't.

Here's what you need:
1 Low-Carb Wheat Burrito Tortilla (31g with, like 21g fiber)
Egg Beaters
1.5 TBS Chopped Onion
1.5 TBS Green Pepper
1 strip Turkey Bacon
Cheese (optional, I like low-fat Monterey Jack)
Sun-dried tomato pesto (also optional, high in calories)
dash Cumin
dash Crushed Red Pepper flakes
Smart Balance spread
Sriracha (Red Asian Hot Sauce)

Take a teaspoon of smart balance and mix in a squirt of Sriracha. Set aside.
In a non-stick skillet (I prefer ScanPan, the greatest pan ever invented), saute the onion, green pepper & bacon.
When just about to your desired doneness add the dash of cumin and dash of crushed red pepper flakes.
When that is done, pour in your egg product and scramble.
Remove from heat.
Take your tortilla and spread hot butter all over one side.
Turn over and put in 1/2 your cheese.
Add Sun-dried tomato pesto.
Add your egg mixture and the rest of the cheese.
Cover with a squirt of Sriracha.
Roll up. It will be slippery.
Put the rolled up burrito BACK in the heated skillet. Turn every 2 minutes to evenly crisp.
Remove, let stand.
Cut in half.
Enjoy.

Calories: 500 (400 w/out pesto. 320 w/out cheese)
Carbs: 36 (32 w/out pesto)

If you were doing this with the REAL stuff.....REAL bacon, REAL eggs, REAL cheese, REAL Butter...

you will die.

Try it! It's delicious!

No comments: