Friday, February 4, 2011

Listening Post: Fathers of Metal

I was looking back over my old Listening Posts (LPs) and rereading the Judas Priest reviews. Partially to rank them because I was bored one day waiting for my son to come home from the hospital and also because, well, I do enjoy me some Judas Priest.
When it occurred to me: I meant to do a Black Sabbath retrospective right after but I got distracted, what with the In Vitro and the new house and the one man show and the writing and the teaching and the auditioning, I just plum forgot.
But, how can you do just Black Sabbath? If you listen to Sabbath, it's only natural to follow them to their conclusion. And I love me some Ozzy (early Ozzy), so I would have to do his solo records. But, Mob Rules is pretty great so I would have to follow Ronnie James Dio out. Then it occurred to me that Dio got his start in Deep Purple and the real true roots of metal lie in that band as well.
Now Richie Blackmore was a co-founder of DP and when he left he created Rainbow. So, naturally, I'd wanna hear that band as well. And how can you even talk about Deep Purple without mentioning David Coverdale? Which would bring us to Whitesnake.
I've decided that, with Coverdale I will only look at three respected Whitesnake records and I'm not touching Coverdale/Page. Probably wanna do that when I do the Zeppelin LP. (And I've still gotta get through the Rolling Stones. Leave me alone, they're half written.)
So.
18 Deep Purple Albums
18 Black Sabbath Albums
8 Rainbow Albums
10 Ozzy Osbourne Albums
10 Dio Albums.
3 Whitesnake albums
67 albums.

It will be called Listening Post: Purple Sabbath
Wish me luck.

No comments: