Thursday, May 14, 2009

Listening Post: Judas Priest - Rocka Rolla

"Breaking the Law", "Another Thing Coming", that's just about the depth of my Judas Priest knowledge. Well, I know about the alleged backwards masking. I know that Halford is the leader of the metal/leather image. And gay. I now that the terrible move Rock Star was based on them. Sort of. And I know that a Halford imitator, named Ripper Owens took over when Rob left.
So. In summary. I know more ABOUT the band then their music. Let's change that.




Judas Priest - Rocka Rolla - 1974 (buy it)


One day someone really needs to explore British Rock of the early-mid 70s and write about it. Tull, Queen, Priest, it's all so, sludgy and overdone. And I mean that in a good way.
Priest's debut seems to take every opportunity to create a metal/pop/rock hit and turn left. Like the Anti-Sweet.
The suite that follows Winter/Deep Freeze/Winter Retreat is a prog rock, overblown, semi instrumental template for Spinal Tap with it's heavy handed attempt at grandiosity, but the band just isn't up to it yet. It's obvious on this, their debut, that they haven't found their sound yet. They clearly are in love with Jimmy Page and Sabbath but worshipping at that altar at that time isn't so unique.
It should be noted that "Run of the Mill", the 8+ minute near-jazz-prog odyssey is SOOO run of the mill I wanted to pour water on my keyboard and short circuit the motherboard rather than let it continue.
I didn't.
But I can't WAIT to delete THAT track.
This album remains a curio that not even the curious will enjoy.

Grade D-
A Side: Rocka Rolla (if ya gotta pick one.....)
BlindSide: Winter, Diamonds & Rust (It sounds like something Brian May might have written in 74, or the progenitor of Maiden.
DownSide: Winter Retreat, Cheater, Run of the Mill, Dying to Meet You

No comments: