Tuesday, May 19, 2009

listening Post: Judas Priest - British Steel

Judas Priest solidifies the formula and speaks to legions of mulletheads the world over....



Judas Priest - British Steel - 1980 (iTunes - Amazon)

I know, I know, this is the classic Priest album. This is the one that broke them wide. They hit #4 on the brit charts and cracked the top 40 here.
But, I don't really like it. Let me explain.
Hell Bent for Leather is a revelation. When you hear it, you will know what I'm talking about. British Steel is, well, formulaic.
The big guitar leads are there. The soaring vocals. The death and destruction lyrics. But it feels like they've discovered what will sell, made it more poppy and sold it to us.
The singles are fine but nothing groundbreaking. Breaking the Law? It's like a metal take on a punk tune.
You know what Living After Midnight is? A really good KISS song. Even the lead licks sound more like Frehley than Tipton.
Its as thought the band looked at Hell Bent and decided to just make that album but more generic. There's even an big chorus anthem, United, like the previous record's Take on the World.
It's a big letdown.
If you've heard Hell Bent for Leather, you don't need to hear British Steel. Blasphemy, I know. But I calls em as I hears em.

Grade B-
A Side: Living After Midnight, Breaking the Law
BlindSide: United
DownSide: Grinder. You don't have to be old to be wise.

No comments: