Monday, October 26, 2009

Reflecting Pool: Ani Difranco - Revelling/Reckoning



Ani DiFranco - Revelling/Reckoning - 2001 (iTunes - Amazon)

At this point I'm not really sure why anyone would care about Ani DiFranco and her records. I think, and I'm not sure, so don't quote me, but, I think she HAS to record something because otherwise, well, that's the way the business works. Record, tour, make a living. You have to give your audience something new so they know you're alive otherwise every tour is really just a best of retrospective, yes?
So, Ani goes about her business, recording new music that makes her happy, even though it has almost nothing to offer the listener. She isn't the finger plucker of yore. She's in love with Jazz and seems to have let those influences take over.
This album isn't offensive, nor is it memorable. It's a Sunday morning, coffee and newspaper background CD.
There is one song that struck me, however. It comes towards the end and it's called "Sick of Me". I'm sure it's supposed to be a relationship song. But when she asks:
how sick of me
must you be
by now?

My answer is: A Lot.

Grade: C
Nothing stands out in any way on this record.

No comments: