Monday, October 26, 2009

Listening Post: Ani DiFranco - Knuckle Down



Ani DiFranco - Knuckle Down - 2005 (iTunes - Amazon)

On first listen, the opening track of Knuckle Down, the title track, filled me with a sense of hope. THIS is the Ani that I remember. It's not the best but it's close to the original sound. Maybe, just maybe, she'll give me and her listeners an album filled with what we fell in love with in the first place.

Yeah.

No fucking way.

Ani's still thinking she's a female Tom Waits hoping to score the next Jim Jarmusch movie. Newsflash, Ani! Those movies suck! Oh, fuck it. Never mind.
God help me, I don't think I'm gonna get through this. I can't recall a Listening Post where the artist has fallen so far from their heights.
Oh, yeah. It's a Listening Post now. It was a Reflecting Pool until I had no relationship with the music. Now it's all discovery.
But not good discovery. Not like when you discover a bag of money in the attic of your old house. More like when you discover shit on your shoe that is stuck there with old gum.

Grade D-

ASide: Knuckle Down
DownSide: Don't get me started.

No comments: