Friday, April 24, 2009

Listening Post: Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - She's the One

The end is in sight....



Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - She's The One - 1996 (Buy It)

I'm not a fan of Ed Burns, the director of the movie "She's the One", for which this album serves as soundtrack. i suppose it would be weirder if it was a film by Ken Burns but at least that way I would have heard it. Or of it.
Here we have an album that sort of follows in the tradition set forth in Wildflowers: Minimalism. Relaxation. Fun.
Innocuous. Tossed off.
Rick Rubin is back to bring everything back to its roots. Mike Campbell is a co-producer/collaborator and the breakers are back.
There are covers here, people. For the first time in the TP&tH catalog, I believe. Change the Locks by Lucinda Williams and Asshole, by Beck.
How are they? Well, Change the Locks sounds like a Tom Petty song. Only bigger. Angrier. It's good. Not great.
The same for Asshole except that, for the first time on this record, I can actually see the song playing over a scene of reflective melancholy or a montage of some kind.
There is nothing here to make me recant my apathy toward Tom Petty. I'm sure his fans are satisfied with the 60 minutes of music/words that he provides.
I will tell you this, Angel (No. 2) sounds too much, to me, like Springsteen's If I Should Fall Behind. Same era. Springsteen was first. And better.
But Walls (No. 3) is one of the best songs Petty has written in years. That's a keeper.

Grade C+
A Side: Walls (Circus), Climb that Hill, Walls (No.3)
BlindSide: Zero from Outer Space, Angel Dream No. 4,
DownSide: Supernatural Radio, Hung Up and Overdue.

No comments: