Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Septenary Souffle

Taking a cue from ickmusic I thought I'd hit shuffle on the ipod and see where the journey would take me after two nights of watching Michael Jackson's company whore out the rights to John Lennon and Paul McCartney's music. Are the Beatles such sacred cows that they shouldn't be a part of the Great American Karaoke Show? Yes. And I'm not even a Beatles fan.
On with the show.

1. Regina Spektor - Summer in the City.
You know, I have this album, Begin to Hope, but I've never gotten past the songs I fell in love with, namely; On the Radio, Fidelity and Hotel Song. But this one just makes me melancholy for being back in NY. I want to find a family with a midtown apartment that wants to do a house swap, pack up the wife, the dog and the kid and spend the summer in the city.

2. Tegan & Sara - The Con
Okay, this is another album I gave no time to. I Like T&S's voice, they are cutesy, sing songy, twin lesbians from Canada but I'm not sure that it really works here. The backing music sounds like Britney Spears' producers listened to a lot of Gary Numan, took some coke and just couldn't stop. I really need to delete some of this stuff.

3. Earth, Wind and Fire - Brick House.
Am I at a wedding? Okay, the reason I had this song in the first place is to make a soundtrack to Mrs. Spetenary and my nuptials. Because as my old friend John Sy. says, "It's guaranteed to get people on the floor". He's right. I want to dance right now. Sheka-ga-sheka-now-now!

4. Cake - Up So Close
I was in a coffee shop in Bakersfield, of all places. Lizzie had her first taste of Almond Soda. She was not even one. Hadn't been diagnosed yet. I don't think, at least. And I was sort of mesmerized by this place. This was the early-mid 90s and coffee shops were the new thang. But this one was on an almost deserted street that seemed to have been abandoned in 1957. In fact, most of Bakersfield felt that way and i really have no idea why we were there.
This music was playing on the speakers and, for the first time since college, I went up to the cashier and asked who it was. He pulled out the CD. Cake. Motorcade of Generosity. I had it in less than 24 hours. I listened to that sucker for weeks. It's still great.

5. Radiohead - High & Dry.
Okay I cheated. But I truly meant to delete that crappy Nine Inch Nails instrumental Ghosts shit, I promise.
I was late to Radiohead. I didn't discover them until about 6 months ago. What I mean to say is, I eschewed them and poo poo'ed them and when I finally grew mature enough to understand it, I recognized the genius that lay within. Right in the heart of BritPop and sounding like Oasis' smarter, better cousin, is this song.

6. Metallica - Enter Sandman
Wow, iPod, I had no idea you loved the 90s so much! This song has been the opening theme to the Tom Leykis show for as long as I can remember now. But more importantly, it still rocks, it still makes you bang your head and it. is. 17. years. old!
When Enter Sandman came out, Watergate was 17 years old.  Think about it.

That's about a half hour and nice place to start. Perhaps we shall souffle again someday....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can dig it! Thanks for the blog-love!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting that out there for us to read. You always seem to surprise me with some aspect of who you are. The more I learn about you, the more I like you. I would also like to thank you for sharing your life with one of my dearest friends.