Saturday, March 8, 2008

Bemis does it again.

This time he reviews one of my favorite films of all time, presents his thoughts in ways that I never thought to imagine and reminds me, once again, what a lost art the brilliance of Kael-esque film criticism is. You keep your "Rotten Tomatoes". I'll go with Bemis.

After some discussion about great years of filmmaking, it was brought up that 1979 was a watershed year. I happen to agree with that. I might have been the one who said it first, I don't recall. But, in a year where the best picture nominees included Apocalypse Now, All That Jazz and Breaking Away, we have to admit, it was a pretty good year.

Go here to read Bemis' All That Jazz review.

It's sublime. It's literate. It blows the doors off any recent reviewing I have read.

No comments: