Friday, December 10, 2010

Listening Post: Sparks

Has anyone ever listened to every Sparks record? Well, I'm pretty sure the Mael brothers did but, other than them, I'm skeptical. So I'm about to change that.




Sparks/Halfnelson - Halfnelson - 1971

I bought Angst in my Pants after hearing "I Predict" on some New Wave stations and college radio. So, I assumed Sparks was a cheeky, humor band. When I saw Ron Mael's sardonic, determinedly non-musical presentation and his Chaplin/Hitler moustache I was convinced that this group spoke to my outside the mainstream aesthetic. I was pretty close. And when I would have the time and an extra couple bucks I would wander to a used record store (Most of the time it was Sounds in the East Village) and I would grab me an old Sparks record.
It took me a while to get my hands on the debut record and when I got it to my dorm and popped it on the turntable I was surprised to hear a very stripped down and bare sound, unlike the later glam gigantosaurs.
More surprising was the french accent lead singer Russel Mael adopted for much of the first side of the record. "Wonder Girl", the only single, and the only really memorable track, sounds like a french band trying to sound American. Or worse, an American band trying to sound like a French band trying to sound American.

Grade: C-
A Side: Wonder Girl
BlindSide: No More Mr. Nice Guys
DownSide: The rest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice post.
I've just recently started listening to Sparks. I have no idea what put me on to them [maybe when I was looking for some psychadelic bands] but when I first attempted [Feb 2011] to listen to the debut I didn't pay much attention & 5 months passed before I gave it another try. I must disagree with your rating it a 'C'. Even though the first time I listened to the entire thing I found it very weird, there was something wonderful about it. Each listen afterwards made me love it more. 'Saccharin And The War' is the only one that doesnt totally stand out. I've only heard the 2nd album 3 times but I'm going to make my way through every album, much the same as I've done with other bands lately [Elbow, Blur, Tegan & Sara and The Box.] A couple questions though; does Russell's french accent continue much past the 1st album? And what was the point of it? I knew they were American so it was sort of confusing hearing the accent although it worked very well.
-I googled 'Russell Mael french accent' & got your post.

Thanks.
J.