Saturday, January 24, 2009

Explaining my monkey

list, actually.
I love being a part of the Monkey Mixx, because I used to love LOVE making mix tapes. Then Discs. And now, I just love turning people on to music.
The theme was simple. Numbers. That's all. Songs had to have numbers incorporated somewhere.

Here are mine:

01 - My Hero, Zero - Lemonheads
I adore Schoolhouse Rock and way back when I was reviewing albums for Home Theater magazine I received the Schoolhouse Rocks Rocks CD. It was relatively hit or miss, but I liked this version of this song. My intent was to go in order of 0-5, but I lost interest in that. My Hero, Zero was one of the episodes that I never saw, so the song was newish to me.

02 - One More Minute - Weird Al
This is one of the greatest comedic songs written and almost no one knows it. It's not a parody of anything, it's just done in a 50s style and it's brilliant. You need to add this to your musical lexicon.

03 - Death on 2 Legs - Queen
Still trying to do it in order, let's face it, it's not a playlist by me unless there's some Queen somewhere.

04 - Three Small Words - Josie and the Pussycats
Suck it, I like this tune. It's my ringtone for my wife, who LOVES it. It's catchy and disposable. Like bubblegum ought to be.

05 - Sixty-eight Guns - The Alarm
It occured to me that I hadn't heard this one in a while, so I imagine many people might have forgotten the lads who wished they were u2. At the time my roommate and I agreed that this album was one of the greatest debuts of all time.

06 - Julia, we don't live in the 60's - The Indelicates
It's important that a list have at least one band no one knows. The blog, Song, By Toad, turned me on to the Indelicates. Their music sounds more like dangerous musical theater, almost grand guignol in it's attitude of contempt. I love them. I think you will, too. Except that this song sounds so much like The Jam's That's Entertainment I think they should pay royalties to Paul Weller. Or Peter Weller. Robocop needs love, too.

Go Here and download all of mine plus everyone else's list as well. And keep reading because my Monkey Mixx is due up soon and I really want you guys to participate.




(One more Minute link)







1 comment:

Splotchy said...

Thanks a lot for some wonderful song choices and descriptions! I hadn't heard that Schoolhouse Rocks cover -- very nifty.

Looking forward to your own helmed GMMP.