Thursday, November 6, 2008

Another Monkey Mixxxxxxxxx!

Six Degrees of Monkey Love.
Splotchy and Coffey joined forces to let the monkeys toss musical feces at the wall and see what stuck.
Here's my choices and how I connected em.

07 - If William Shatner Can I Can Too - Jeff Daniels

Let's face it. Actors shouldn't be rock stars. (Throttle Back Sparky was my toe dip into that land. Although we rocked hard and fucked like monkeys) Who knew Daniels could pluck a little white man blues? Everything I've heard from him has been a treat and this one, well, it's all true. Too true.

08 - Common People - William Shatner
But just because Daniels was right doesn't mean he's also way wrong. Because this cover of Pulp's Common People is rip roaringly better than the 'riginal. It's got Joe Jackson caterwauling, Shatner overcoming himself and Ben Folds producing like a mutha. Get the album. you will NOT be disappointed.


09 - Heroes - David Bowie
Also featured on Shatner's album was Adrian Belew (Excuse me....ADRIAN BELEW!!!!!) Who composed the lead riff for this which is NOT an e-bow but four separate solos layered on top of each other.


10 - Vive Le Rock - Adam Ant
Tony Visconti produced Heroes. And many others. And Adam Ant's Vive Le Rock. An album which is as unheralded as it is great!



11 - Hello, I Love You - The Doors
Alas, when Adam went solo (Which meant nothing since he was the act all along) elektra convinced him to put a cover tune on "Friend or Foe". I was at the concert. He didn't play it. Maybe he did. I don't recall. I was high.



12 - Poor Girl - X
Which brings me to the only song I wish my band had covered that we didn't. I love the poetry, the sadness and the pure punkiness of this track. Which was produced by Ray Manzarek of The Doors.



There ya go. 6 degrees. Completely silly and 100% fun!

3 comments:

Splotchy said...

Nicely done! I really, really like that Jeff Daniels song. Do you know where was it recorded?

Dale said...

The Jeff Daniels song was hilarious and I'm just listening to Shatner now. Great post and picks!

Allen Lulu said...

The Jeff Daniels song is just one of an entirely great album.
The Shatner album was one of my top ten for 2004.
Im glad people are enjoying the pics.
Hopefully I can be picked to design a mix. Someday, mr. splotchy, someday.....