Friday, June 27, 2008

Listening Post: U2 Wrap up

So, thanks for sticking around, those of you that did. I hope I did it justice. It was a really interesting experience, rolling out records by a band that I had listened to but never really listened to.
I tried to add video to the posts but, as you get later and later in the band's career, they disallow embedding of video so, fuck it.

All in all, missteps aside (Zooropa, Pop) I have to say that U2 deserves the recognition that they get. They belong in the pantheon of great rock bands of all time. Longevity doesn't just make for greatness but consistently changing, inventing, reinventing, creating and destroying and building does count for a lot.
They aren't just an epic singles band, as I once thought. They are so much more.

I am, I am proud to say, a fan.

Someone suggested R.E.M. next.
I will consider it. I'm a little too close to the material. Okay, the truth is I just don't want to listen to Up, Reveal and Around the Sun ever again. And that's what waits at the end of the tunnel, but the glimmer of Accelerate shines like a beacon that says, maybe, just maybe.........

No comments: