Thursday, October 25, 2007

Long live the Green Monkey!

Okay, not a lot of time here, folks, but I must explain my selections over at splotch's site. (www.isplotchy.blogspot.com)
the topic was gender, I chose men, here goes.

Paul Stanley by The Hellacopters.
Seriously. What band names a song after Paul Stanley? A great band, that's who. And one who just announced they are dissolving after their next album.
The Hellacopters will be the subject of my next edition of "The Mop" over at www.shuffleboil.com If you haven't been there already, shame on you. Come on by, we're doing some cool shit.

Pablo Picasso Visita Los Planetos de los Simios by Adam Ant. Pablo Picasso visits the Planet of the Apes? Adam must have been high. Oh, wait, he didn't do drugs. So, seriously, what the fuck? The song is as weird as it's title.

Jonathan by Nerf Herder. "Please god, don't let me end up like Jonathan Richman. Says it all right there. Nerf Herder always made me laugh and here they beat up on Indie's sensitive roving quirkmeister. Ha, always funny.

St. Jimmy the Prankster - Dean Gray. My late daughter's (www.lizzielulu.com) favorite band was Green Day. She wasn't too keen on the mashup from last year but, hey, she didn't quite get it yet. Dean Gray (get it? get it?) does such a great job of pointing out that all songs have been rewritten and art is repetetive and vital and all that stuff. This was available for one day on Dean Gray Tuesday last year. the album is one of the best mashups I have ever heard.

Vincent - Don Maclean. Because it is the greatest song ever written about an artist and his work. It succeeds on so many levels. It is touching and sad. It uses the canvas of the painting to illustrate the subject matter. It might be perfect. And no one dares cover it.

7 comments:

BeckEye said...

Did you know that Clay Aiken was forced to cover "Vincent" on American Idol? I forget which of the judges picked it for him, but the audience was completely befuddled.

Allen Lulu said...

Oh, yeah! He freaking mangled that. And, thank you for putting that memory back in my brain....

BeckEye said...

You're welcome. :)

Loved the Paul Stanley song, by the way. I actually do a pretty good Paul Stanley impression.

Allen Lulu said...

So glad you liked the 'copters tune. I just got done reviewing the lead guitarist's side band over at the webzine, www.shuffleboil.com
I will be spotlighting the Hellacopters in a column called The Mop in about a week or so.
Been reading your blog. quite tasty.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

"Please god, don't let me end up like Jonathan Richman." That's priceless!

I am behind on listening to all the songs on the mix this go round, but am heading back to Splotchy's for them now. I only know Vincent from your list, so I'm looking forward to the rest.

Allen Lulu said...

Nerf Herder has a lot of very funny tunes. I recommend Van Halen from their first album.
They were a hoot.

Splotchy said...

Aw, leave poor Jonathan alone!

I remember I made my friend feel bad when I off-handedly asked him if he thought Jonathan Richman dyed his hair.

We Richman fans are also notable for our sensitivity!

I liked the mashup. I have not kept track of the mashup scene for the most part, but from what little I heard there was some really great stuff. There was a "She Said, She Said/Crosstown Traffic" combo that particularly stood out to me.

Thanks a lot for playing, and I'm sorry the Green Monkey died on ya.